First signs of humanity in ISIS
Why significant number of Muslims around the world support ISIS or Daesh? The answer is, ISIS bases it’s laws on Islamic teachings from Koran and Hadith, literally. The Islamic teachings are mainly peaceful, however, often taken out of context. Below are the latest opinion polls collected from around the world.
al-Jazeera Poll (2015): 81% of respondents support the Islamic State (ISIS).
The Polling Company CSP Poll (2015): 38% of Muslim-Americans say Islamic State (ISIS) beliefs are Islamic or correct. (43% disagree),
ICM (Mirror) Poll 2015: 1.5 Million British Muslims support the Islamic State, about half the total population.
Are there any signs of humanity in fast advancing international Islamic movement? Is there a reason why such a significant number of Muslims support or, at least approve of ISIS?
Islamic teachings are based on pragmatism, culture and tradition. Islam as peaceful, humane religion just like other major religions in the world. The proof of it are some signs of humanity in the latest ISIS rules about treatment of female sex slaves. Female sex slaves are not only a feature of ISIS. Other strictly Muslim countries, such as Mauritania, practice slavery too. It is an integral part of culture and tradition in those countries. Female sex slavery in Muslim world is being practiced in other forms as well in more humane form, e.g. slaves receive some payment.
ISLAMIC STATE’S NEW RULES OF TREATMENT OF CAPTIVE FEMALE SLAVES
• “It is not permissible for the owner of a female captive to have intercourse with her until after she has her menstrual cycle and becomes clean.”
Commentary: This very important hygienic norm aimed at reduction of infection and preservation of female fertility. This is a sign of more humane treatment of female slaves.
• “If she is pregnant, he is not allowed to have intercourse with her until after she has given birth.”
Commentary: this is also to prevent complications of pregnancy.
• “It is not permissable to cause her to abort if she is pregnant.”
Commentary: It seems like ISIS is leaning towards pro-life approach.
• “If the owner of a female captive releases her, only he can have intercourse with her and he cannot allow someone else to have intercourse with her.”
Commentary: this is a big step forward in women’s rights in ISIS held territories – there is no longer continuous rape by multiple fighters is allowed.
• “If the owner of a female captive, who has a daughter suitable for intercourse, has sexual relations with the latter, he is not permitted to have intercourse with the mother and she is permanently off-limits to him.”
Commentary: this is another example that may contribute to higher approval rates of ISIS among West based Muslims. Not having intercourse with mother while having sexual intercourse with her young daughter is seen as higher moral behavior then in Western countries where having intercourse with both mother and a daughter is permissible.
• “The owner of two sisters is not allowed to have intercourse with both of them.”
• “If the female captive becomes pregnant by her owner, he cannot sell her and she is released after his death.”
• “If two or more individuals are involved in purchasing a female captive, none of them are permitted to have intercourse with her because she is part of a joint ownership.”
As we can see, some more humane rules evolving in ISIS that follows strict Islamic interpretation of religious texts.